I am always amazed at the feeling of getting on a motorcycle in the morning in a foreign country not knowing what incredible things are about to unfold. Life at its best ... unexpected, surprising, intense.
After a spectacular ride through the mountains of Transylvania and a cappuccino, Tom and I parted ways as he headed back to Frankfurt and I continued to Istanbul. It is interesting how quickly things change when you are now 100% responsible for everything - route, currency, gas, mechanics, and more importantly, the assessment of risk every step of the way. Problems tend to compound quickly when you are traveling alone.
Unbeknown to me, I headed up the Transalpina highway towards Sibiu. Apparently, this and the Transfagarasan highway are the not-to-be-missed roads in Romania. The road started narrow, following a river in between massive rock outcrops, then switchbacks, missing road sections, brand new road, steep climbs, steep descents, sand, mud, and a bit of rain made for a perfect trek through Romania's core ... with no cars or people around ... or Dracula.
Romania is very different on this side of the mountains. Towns in the mountains are very picturesque ... the old communist industrial look is nowhere to be found. Here, a motorcycle traveler is still a big surprise. Everywhere I stopped people came to talk. Good stuff.
Sibiu is an old fortified city with a great center - buildings, churches, plazas, outdoor cafes, and museums. Tomorrow, headed for the Transfagarasan pass (if it is open) and to Bucharest.





No comments:
Post a Comment